As you may have noticed, I am a stickler for detail. It took me ages (nearly as long as making the entire banner!) to calculate the proportion for the triangle; I wanted it quite small. I eventually caluclated that the height should be 1.25 times the width of the triangle. How sad is that??
Using the template, I cut the pieces out with my rotary cutter fitted with a deckle blade (quicker than pinking shears)
Then used Heant 'n' Bond to spell Happy Birthday and added a couple of cakes. I had a length of bias, already folded and in the right colour hanGing around (as you do!)
(not too pleased with this image; I do have difficulty getting good pictures indoors, despite having a conservatory which gives plenty of daylight)
So, spurred on by my success, I decided to try a belt. I've hankered after one of these for so long and it's not as if it's even particularly difficult; the hardest thing is to pick the fabrics! I used some waistband interfacing, that has slots cut to make it easy to fold.
It makes a nice 1" belt, which fitted the buckle I had perfectly, but I think I would like it a little wider. I got carried away with the fabric selection, and cut enough to make 2.
Although rather short for my weight, I am not quite as round as this belt suggests; I did get a little carried away with the piecing, and there's plenty to go around!
I got the cute buckle from Sew 'n' Sew of Cirencester for a whole 75p. If you're ever in the area, the shop is well worth the visit.
I made a couple of lavender teabags, but haven't photographed them yet. But they do smell lovely!