Sunday 2 August 2009

Holiday Part 2!

I'm a bit of a history geek, so when we go away I end up dragging whoever is with us to what I consider interesting places. In this quest, we visited Cromford Mill, a fantastic renovation project. Serendipity intervened and we happened across - a quilt shop! Good selection but, with enough fabrics at home waiting for thread, I passed with no purchase (although the senses were certainly satisfied).
I am the navigator in hoiday, and one of my favourite occupations is to ensure DH has to drive round the unusual. I found a ford on the map so naturaly, it had to be driven through...

Am the only person for whom simple things like this give a frisson of delight? Speaking of delight, I was thrilled to come across the dam at Derwent where 617 squadron practiced with the bouncing bomb in WWII.
On our way home, I also found another quilting shop, Heirs and Graces. Set in a lovely Wesleyan chapel in Darley Dale, it has a fantastic selection of fabrics and books. I was left alone to browse (which is how I prefer it), but other ladies in there who wanted help were accomodated. Very friendy and well worth a visit if you're anywhere near (within 2 hours drive would count as near, I reckon!)
This raises for me a little idea that I have entertained for some time. Whenever I'm away from home, I always try to look up local quilt shops and other craft stores but these can frequently be difficult to locate. I'd love a database of fabric shops. Does anyone have one?

No comments:

Post a Comment