Sunday 7 June 2009

Sewing Machine Meme

Thought I'd join the sewing meme from Sew, Mama, Sew!

What brand and model do you have?
Husqvarna Designer II

How long have you had it?
3 years

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
I can't remember, but I think it was around £1500

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
Quilts, handbags, little gifts, clothes for myself (and the children when they were younger), cushions & covers, curtains and blinds.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I'd like to sew every day but in reality it's probably 2-3 times per week. I have a group who meets here on a Monday and they all use the machine as well, so its pretty well used!

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
Most of the time I like her (yes, it's a she); sometime it's love and occasionally I really don't like her at all! No, she doesn't have a name

What features does your machine have that work well for you?
The main reason I bought the machine is because, when you set the needle to stop in the fabric, the presser foot lifts just a little; enough to swivel fabric. It's fab! I can also purchase cards with alternate stitches and have built a bit of a collection. The fix button is useful, too - no more back and forward to secure the thread at the start and end of rows. Oh, and the scissors - press a button and the thread is cut.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
Husqvarna say in their advertising blurb that you will never get a bird's nest of thread at the start or end of the row and mention it at demonstrations and on their courses. Wrong! Both my machine and my Mum's (she has the same machine) do it, as does a friend's, who has an Orchidea.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!
Sadly, no. The only great story about a sewing machine is how my Great Grandma used to take the needle out of her treadle machine so I could sit and treadle. Used to keep me occupied for hours!

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
Yes, on balance I would. I had a major electrical problem just before the machine's second birthday (the motor overheated and completely melted the internal workings, fortunately it happened a week the right side fo the 2-year warranty). Other than that, the machine is reliable, hard working and stitches well.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
Features; I'm a gadget queen. So tempted by the new Bernina that has a stitch regulator for free motion qulting (yeah, it's cheating, but who's to know??). Ability to work with really fine organza and silk but cope with denim and heavyweight furnishing fabrics. Not too much then, eh?

Do you have a dream machine?
I'm quite content with the machine I have so I'm not really sure what is out there at the moment. I guess the only other sewing machine I'd like is a long arm quilter - and somewhere to set it up!

I also have an overlocker, with which I have a distinclty prickly relationship with. Bought to help me cut and sew fabric I knitted with my knitting machine, I never really have got the hang of it. I can usually thread it and sew successfully after a few attempts, but we don't really get on. I guess we are aquaintances and need to spend some more time together to become real friends (and, who knows, maybe best friends eventually!)

Hope you found this interesting; its the first meme I've done and I really enjoyed it!

1 comment:

  1. I am having difficulty replacing my stitch d A1 card. I accidently erased the memory from it. Do you have any ideas of contact information for ordering a new Stitch d A1 card for my Viking Quilt Designer II sewing machine. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete